The graveyards of Drohobych region
The graveyard in Truskavetska Street in Drohobych, the Ukraine, was opened on May 3, 1790 on “parson’s lands” donated for a burial ground.
In 1830 it was expanded to the area of 4 ha, which is its current acreage. It means that the graveyard is only four years younger than Lychakiv necropolis in Lviv, as old as Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw and older than Rasos Cemetery in Vilnius (1796), Rakowicki Cemetery in Cracow (1803) or Pere Lachaise in Paris (1803).
Situated on the right-hand side of Truskawiecki route, the cemetery in Drohobycz lies on a hill between the valleys of the Pobuk stream and the Tyśmienica river. Since 1812 there have been military barracks south of the cemetery, whereas in the north it is surrounded by a graveyard wall, which used to be about two meters high. Currently, a grand, newly-built orthodox church touches the wall. West to the graveyard there used to be fields and meadows which were gradually developed.
We enter the cemetery through a neoclassicistic main gate crowned with a statue of a woman with a cross.
In 2018 a tree broken by a hurricane knocked the statue over and an indecipherable inscription in German on the right-hand side of the gate was uncovered. On the fronton of the gate a plaque with a Latin sentence has been placed: “Corruptibile oportet hoc inducere incorruptionem” (“For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.” 1 Corinthians 15:53)
The graveyard has survived till today without too many serious damages, however, the passing of time and lack of proper care have led to some irrevocable losses. Next to the Catholic tombs (German, Polish and Ukrainian ones), some Russian Orthodox and non-denominational graves have appeared.
The initial examination of the Drohobycz graveyard history indicates the need of further search in order to find more source materials, e.g. the ones explaining the history of the chapel belonging to the wealthy Neumann Family.
In recent years, two chapels: the Nahlik Family chapel and the Neuman Family chapel have been thoroughly renovated. In the Nahlik family chapel, which is St. Bartholomew Parish cemetery chapel, church services and funeral ceremonies take place regularly.